With over 60 renowned burials and the first dedicated Confederate graveyard, Mount Hebron Cemetery ranks as one of the state’s most historical burial grounds. It was dedicated in 1844 as almost the earliest “garden” type landscape in a movement toward park-like cemeteries.
Comprising four cemeteries adjacent to the eastern town limit in 1759, this hallowed ground adjoined tow older graveyards, the German Reformed and the Lutheran, both of which are now within the larger complex. Over 3,645 Confederate dead in Stonewall and Mt. Hebron Cemeteries resulted from Winchester’s location on the forefront of the avenue of invasion into the Union heartland.