George Washington’s Office
George Washington used a little log building, now the middle room of George Washington Office Museum, as a military office from September 1755 to December of 1756 while Fort Loudoun was being constructed at the north end of town. Washington planned Fort Loudoun, supervised the work and brought his own blacksmiths from Mount Vernon to do the ironwork. The fort was a redoubt with four bastions; there were fourteen mounted cannon and it covered one-half acre. It was made of logs filled with earth and inside there were barracks for 450 men. A well was sunk 103 feet through solid limestone rock to supply the fort with water. This well is all that remains of the fort today.
Located on the grounds of the museum is a cannon that was left by General Edward Braddock in Alexandria. It is among a number of artifacts displayed at the office. The current exhibit is entitled “George Washington and the West.” This display includes some of Washington’s personal effects, surveying equipment and a scale model of the town of Winchester circa 1755 which shows the fort prominently located at the north end of the town.
Winchester played an important role in George Washington’s early adult life; his military and political career began here. As a young man of sixteen, he came to the area to begin what he thought would be his life’s profession, surveying. With the earnings from his surveying business he was able to buy a number of acres around Frederick County and also a lot in the town that enabled him to serve as a Burgess From Frederick County 1758-1765. During the French and Indian War he commanded the Virginia Regiment from his headquarters in Winchester.
32 West Cork & Braddock Streets
Winchester, VA 22601
George Washington’s Office Museum Restroom Facility
George Washington’s Office Museum is housed in an eighteenth-century structure on an elevated section of ground in the heart of historic downtown Winchester. Currently there is no accessibility for the disabled to either the museum or its grounds.
The museum’s restroom is not located in a small building on the museum grounds. The building itself is primitive and does not meet ADA specifications. Reader & Swartz Architects, P.C. has executed preliminary drawings for an entirely new structure that meets ADA requirements and allows space for storage. The plan calls for a unisex bathroom approximately 7’ x 12’ using building materials similar to that of the main building.
The Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society is hoping to raise $40,000 toward the completion of this project. The video was originally produced for a grant application, however the Society felt it could be used here on its website to bring awareness of the project.
Season: Open Daily April 1 to October 31
Hours: Mon-Sat: 10 am to 4 pm Sun: 12 pm to 4 pm
Admission: Adults $6.00; Seniors $5.00; Students $3.00
School, group, and bus tours are welcomed at George Washington’s Office Museum.
Please call the Winchester- Frederick County Historical Society in advance for special rates. 540.662.6550.
Special events and exhibits are held periodically. Please continue to visit this site for event and exhibit listings.
While visiting George Washington’s Office Museum, be sure to check out the gift shop.